Mayowood was built in 1911 by Dr. Charles H. Mayo, who lived there until 1939. Now, this 38 room historic house is home to an extensive decorative arts collection, gorgeous gardens, and antique furnishings from French, Spanish, German, and American cultures.
Ownership of the Mayowood Mansion was transferred to Mayo Clinic in 2013. Mayo Clinic is currently performing renovations on the mansion and grounds, but the mansion is still open to the public on scheduled tour days.
Road Construction Details starting June, 2018
Mayowood Mansion Public Tour Schedule: April 18-October 25, 2018
Mayowood Tours are conducted by an educated tour guide and last about 60 minutes.
Guests will be escorted through the home and given a verbal depiction of what life was like in the mansion when it was occupied by the Mayo family.
Adults (12 & up) - $17.00
Children (2 - 12) - $5.00
Children under 2 – FREE!
April 18 - October 25
Wednesdays and Thursdays at 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, and 3:00 pm
Saturdays at 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm, and 2:00 pm
Sundays at 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm, and 2:00 pm
The mansion is closed during the winter except for Christmas Tours. See the section below for dates and times for the Christmas Tours.
Note: No photographs may be taken inside the Mayowood Mansion. After tours, visitors may wander the gardens, but are discouraged from wandering the rest of the grounds. Commercial photography at Mayowood is not permitted, except with the permission of Mayo Clinic.
Christmas Tours at Mayowood Mansion start November 10, 2018
Christmas tour tickets are available through the History Center; Christmas tours are by reservation only.
Christmas Tour Admission:
Adults (12 & up) - $25.00
Children (5 - 12) - $10.00
Children under 4 – FREE!
Tours will begin at the History Center with light refreshments and a film about Mayowood and the Mayo family. Visitors will then ride a trolley up to the mansion and receive a guided tour lasting about one hour. Reservations are required and can be made by calling the History Center at 507-282-9447. No refunds or exchanges will be given.
The History Center is located at 1195 West Circle Drive SW, Rochester, MN 55902. Directions to the History Center can be found on our FAQ page.
How Do I Get There?
The official address of the Mansion is:
3720 Mayowood Road SW
Rochester, MN 55902
If coming from the History Center, West Circle Drive, or Salem Road, drive west on Salem Road. Travel past Autumn Ridge Church and take a quick left turn onto Mayowood Road. Immediately after passing over the bridge over Mayowood Lake turn right, then stay on the right to pass through the beautiful gate and driveway on your left-hand side.
If coming from Bamber Valley Road/County Road 8, travel down Mayowood Road past Mayowood Stone Barn, then turn left before Mayowood Lake. Stay on the right and pass through the gate leading up to Mayowood Mansion.
Construction Detours in Olmsted County:
Who is Dr. Charles H. Mayo?
In order for us to answer this question, we need to give you a little bit of history.
Dr. Charles Horace Mayo was the son of Dr. William Worrall Mayo – a physician that arrived in Rochester, MN in the spring of 1863 to act as examining surgeon for men being inducted into the Union Army during the Civil War. The following year, Dr. W.W. Mayo was joined by his wife and family. One year after that, Dr. Mayo entered private practice as a physician in the growing community.
In the 1880’s, Dr. W. W. Mayo’s sons, William James and Charles Horace, joined the family practice. This collaboration eventually evolved into Mayo Clinic. New doctors with special talents were sought out in order to fill particular medical needs. It wasn’t until the 1920’s however that Dr. Charles H. Mayo, along with his sons Dr. Charles W. Mayo and Dr. Joseph G. Mayo, helped turn Mayo Clinic into an internationally recognized institution known for leadership in the research and treatment of medical illness.
Support the History Center of Olmsted County with your time and talents